Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Abasing

Hey everyone,

I thought I would go ahead and use a word typically found in the scriptures because when I think of my week that is a word that fits perfectly. I have been abased, and am so thankful for it. I was blessed with great success in Ventana Ranch, and I knew that it was a blessing and not solely my own hard work or obedience. However I still attributed some of the success and blessings to myself and how dedicated I thought I was, and I didn't even realize I was thinking that way until this past week when the Lord showed me that he does not need me for any of this work. It is a great blessing to be a part of it, and to be worked through, but if I wasn't here it would still be done. He has called me out here, partially, to learn and grow as a disciple but if there were no missionaries out here he could of course get the work done on his own.

My companion's foot finally healed enough to walk on it last Tuesday so we joyfully went out to work on our bikes. It seemed so fast compared to me pushing him in a wheelchair. The whole day went pretty well and we were able to get a lot accomplished and visit people we haven't been able to reach for some time now. One of the families we visited were pretty sick so we were able to comfort them and give a short lesson. Then later that night Elder McCarroll told me he was feeling a little ill and needed to go to bed early. Now it is a week later and he is still very ill and we have not been able to leave our apartment for more then a couple hours a day. As soon as he was healed from one thing something else happens and now we are going on three weeks of hardly being able to work at all.

This experience has taught me something amazing though. We have not been able to work much and yet the area is still picking up and we can see some success looming in the horizon. I don't know why we have gone through these series of unfortunate events, but I feel one of the reasons was to further teach me that this is the Lords work and not my own. If He wanted to he could do the missionary work here by himself but he is blessing me with the opportunity to be a part of it, and realizing this has helped me grow with great strides as a missionary. I love this work, and look forward to being able to spend all day out doing it. My companion is seeing a doctor soon so hopefully we will be healthy, strong, and ready to work soon.

Love,

Elder Inman

1 comment:

  1. That is a wonderful lesson learned, David. I love that you always find the positive side. I love you and miss you and am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete