Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Last Week of the Transfer

Hola,

Can you believe we are already at the end of the transfer, and that next time I write home I will know transfer news? I feel like I was just transferred into this ward so its a strange feeling to realize it has already been more then a month. Elder Evans and I have been so incredibly blessed as we have worked here, and this has been a transfer that I will always be thankful for. The members in this ward are absolutely amazing! Our MTC night with the young men was a lot of fun and it got me excited to work with Harrison, Tawny, and Cody for their upcoming missions. This coming Sunday, Fast and Testimony Sunday, the entire ward will be doing a special fast for missionary work and then for the following 39 days a different family will be fasting for missionary work every day. I am probably the most excited out of anyone because when this happened in Belen the work rocketed, and it has not significantly slowed down since. I will be pretty happy if this ends up being where I spent the final months of my mission. But I guess in all reality I will be happy anywhere I spend the last part of my mission because I just love being out here no matter where I am at.
Early this week we were knocking on doors and at one of the doors I noticed a little plant growing in a pot with tiny red, orange, and yellow chilies(knows as peppers outside of New Mexico). I was not sure what they were but instantly wanted to try one, which made me want them to answer the door even more so I could ask them. They didn't answer. But I didn't let this deter me, although looking back I think I probably should have. I grabbed a ripe looking one from the soil and took a bite out of it as we went to our next door(right as I begin to think that I have become more mature and smart, lol). It lit my mouth up after just a few seconds and it took a lot of effort on my part not to let tears flow as we talked to the next couple people with the burning causing my tongue to throb and my eyes to water. We went back to that home a few days later and this time they answered and the first thing I asked was what type of chili he was growing, which made him smile and begin talking right away. Turns out it is a Tia chili and is not usually eaten by itself because of its heat. He gave us a bag of them to cook with :-) Then we were able to talk to him about what we were there for and he gave us "permission to work on his soul while he works on our wallets". Turns out he knows a good amount about our church because one of his close friends is a member, and he knows a lot about missionaries and how we live while serving. He said that he would love for us to teach him and in return he will teach us ho to be successful in the business world when we finish our time as missionaries. He is going to be a really fun guy to teach.
Well, I know this is a short one but we have a pretty packed day so I need to take off. Love you guys!!
Elder Inman

1 comment:

  1. I've never tried a Tia Chili. . .Seems like I should. :-) I can't believe your mission is getting so close to the end. You are such a wonderful young man. We are so proud of you.
    Love, Sheralan and family.

    ReplyDelete